Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Our Homeschool - Last Week Summary

I have a friend who is an amazing homeschool mom. Who told me once that she just jots down everything they do & then she keeps track of what they have learned & done. Last week we were at the ranch most of the week & decided this would be a good day to try this out. I just typed up, in short notes on my phone as I could. I wasn't really descriptive. Just main ideas, so I could know. I snapped pictures with my phone as I could, so I could have a picture or two of what happened. I normally use my nice camera, but while working is isn't always convenient.  I liked how it was not only convenient because it was on my phone, but it was nice to look back & remember some of the stuff we got done. I think I will keep using this method of recording our week.
  Many people ask me how my kids are getting an education, when I have them working most of the week. Most of the people that ask this, only believe in public school, to begin with. It is my personal belief (there is a whole blog post about this), but I believe you don't only need public schooling to gain an education, here are some of the fun things we were able to learn about last week, while "Working".



10-2 - Tuesday
Headed to ranch, packed bags, did chores (basic living) , journal writing & drawing, spelling,
 history - Romans & the roman empire & it boundaries.
Science- mutations in genetics, the 2 headed snake & other animals.
Social studies - Italy, & Rome, Mediterranean Sea
Math- Constructions, numbers, counting.
Practice Sight words
Working witho a backhoe, safety with machinery

Starting to set concrete blocks for the base of the new lambing shed.










2 of the Boys Riding Along 


10-3 - Wednesday
Journals, stacking hay,
History- The fall of Rome & barbarians.
Reading - aesops fables
Social studies - Where is the Mediterranean Sea/ eastern & western roman empires
Construction - building of a privy, measuring, cutting, machine safety,
Basic construction, how to use power tools
Math - greater & less
Practiced sight words
This little boy is the "main" supervisor of all our working crews!!! 


Getting Help from Dad on Using A Drill







Helping Dad cut wood with the Chop Saw





Measuring Boards, we were looking for only boards with a width of 8"







Getting taught how to use the drill, so he can do it alone. 

10-4 Thursday  
Putting together trusses, hard work, perseverance, matching numbers, building parts, order matching letters, Setting electric fence, driving at night, working until dark, singing primary songs & talking about gaining testimonies: everyone is helping & happy. Good memories.
Drew pictures, made up stories
The oldest & youngest hanging out together. 
 

10-5 - Friday
Setting electric fence, power of electricity, solar power, herding sheep, keeping order, counting,
Definition of rhythm,
History: Celts & British, the legend of craith & his 3 magical warriors,
Social Studies: Location of Britain,
Math- greater, less, & inbetween. Before & after
Spanish- left, right, straight.
Science: Characteristics of an owl, learning to tell the difference between 2 animals, nocturnal creatures
Addition & subtraction practice, practicing language ladders
Practiced sight words

10-6
Math: random addition, journal writing, general conference,
This cutie boy, hanging out on the ride. 
Math practice - Somehow writing in dirt is so much cooler than paper. 
Moving sheep in the early morning. 
Setting Electric Fence. You can't see it, but each boy has a wire in hand. To put on the insulator, Top, Middle & Bottom wires. 
Another picture of moving sheep in the early morning. It is such a gorgeous sight. When I am not helping one time, I will grab my better camera & try to get a picture that does it justice. 
Working on that fence. 2 miles worth of electric fence, these boys help set.

So there you have  it, last week at a glance, besides the owl video I forgot to add (maybe tomorrow),  this sums up last week. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the "shout out"!:) I think your week looks amazing. It's fascinating to me how so many supporters of public education think homeschooling is ineffective! There are SO many success stories! Children don't need a desk, 30 peers and lots of worksheets to learn things! You are the perfect example of that! I was thinking your husband was a school teacher...am I wrong? Or is that not him that is with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the Mrs.
      Yes, that is my handsone hubby with us! My hubby once was a school teacher, until lately when we took the plunge, quit his job & did what he has always wanted to do: be in a profession where he can work side by side with his boys everyday, so we are now officially 100% just sheep ranchers.

      Delete
  2. To the Mrs.
    Yes, that is my handsone hubby with us! My hubby once was a school teacher, until lately when we took the plunge, quit his job & did what he has always wanted to do: be in a profession where he can work side by side with his boys everyday, so we are now officially 100% just sheep ranchers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiff!

    I love these pictures - where are you?! It's gorgeous!

    Those are just adorable little faces!! They look so content to be working with dad...

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete