Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Homemade Granola

We don't eat a lot of cold cereal at the house. I think it overly priced & there is no nutritional value in it. Besides if I do buy it on a rare occasion that is all my kids want to eat. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. So to make me life simpler, I just don't buy it. However, we love homemade granola. I make it occasionally & it is a favorite snack for everybody. It is simple to make. I usually double the recipe if I have enough nuts on hand.





Homemade Granola

6 cups Oatmeal
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1 c.  Coconut
1/4 c. Sunflower seeds
1 c. Chopped Nuts (we usually do almonds, but whatever nut your family enjoys).

Stir this together & place either on a cookie sheet or cake pan and Bake at 350  for 10 Minutes
just to start to warm everything through.

Add:
  1/2 c. Oil
   1/2  c. honey (We like it a little sweeter & add 3/4 c.)
  1 tsp. Vanilla.

 Mix all of these together & then once your oats are warm, drizzle over the top of the pan & mix through.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Stirring every 10.

At the last 5 minutes add Craisins, or dried fruit if desired.

Let sit & cool. The longer you let it sit & cool before breaking it up the bigger chunks you will have. If you don't want large chunks, mix sooner.

Enjoy.
 

3 comments:

  1. This looks great! We don't buy cereal either (except for when we have visitors). My husband is the granola maker in our house. We make it super simply, just to save money. Just oats, honey, vanilla, salt, and oil. We add craisins or peanuts to it when we eat it. Your recipe looks really yummy! I'd like to try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never dawned on me I could make a simpler, cheaper version. I sometimes don't make this because I don't have all the extras. Next time, I am going to try your recipe & just keep it simple & see if we even notice a difference. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete