Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Making it all add up . . .

  We trying to keep things interesting at this house. We have constantly been adding new things to our math schedule & taking away things that they boys are bored with or are no longer working.

.
    My 5 year old, bought a watch & was dying to learn how to tell time. So we did a week or so of practice telling time. He didn't master it, but every day he gets a little better. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to telling time. You can check it out here.  I love that it keeps it all in a central location & works well for me to make my weekly plans with. I am constantly adding new ideas on there.

    We played some telling times games off of there, & made this great clocks.




Another favorite that we have been doing is Math IXL.
IXL

 The send certificates through e-mail & once you do so many levels you get to turn over a puzzle piece. I doesn't sound like much, but I am amazed how much my boys get excited over passing off the next level. It is really good for testing knowledge, but if my kids don't get a concept as well as I would like I still have to teach it to them. It explains what they did wrong on a problem, but I do have to still do some teaching. So keep that in mind.


I have another Pinterest board dedicated to just a mix of  Math Ideas.

One of my favorites is the Engineering Ideas for kids. It helps teach math application & things like this are perfect for my boys.



or I love this idea as well:

Lego math!! for math. For some reason , I cannot click over to the pin, so I just saved the image & we just printed if off or I created my own. I will share that with you another time.

So I hope this gives you some new ideas to keep math fun.

Also we are starting some fun things with Lego's this week, I hope you will join me with. Now off to subtract some of the clothes from my laundry pile & add food to my kids bellies!!

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas!!! There are so many ways to have fun with math. I'm looking forward to your Lego ideas!

    ReplyDelete