Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Graham Crackers Houses

     The boys have been asking to make gingerbread houses for a while. I promised them we would do them & that it no matter if any one else could do it with us by Monday we would do them. So Monday afternoon we started working on them.  We had to have school first, & then we started working on them. First we have been talking about classification of animals in Science, so I made them review what it means to classify something & then told them to classify the candy.  

The mixed up candy. 

The boys trying to classify it. 

The candy all classified & ready to go. 

I read that somewhere that you should use chocolate (white in our case) instead of frosting. The dipping chocolate hardens faster so it doesn't take as long to build the houses & attach the candy. I luckily had some on hand & I admit once I got the right temperature they went together really well & held nicely. I will be using white chocolate from now on. 

My little dude working on his. 

The cowboy trying to get his candy to stay.  About half way into it, this little boys looks at me as says " I thought this was going to be dumb, but it is actually cool." I laughed. Glad you think so cowboy.  
My monkey focusing on decorating his. 

My little dude showing off his almost complete house. 




My monkey's completed house, with sled in the back. 
My cowboys's finished house & sled. He built a shed somewhere, but I don't know where it ended up for the picture.

So it made a nice mess (big surprise) but it was really a lot of fun. I think we will have to make it an annual Christmas tradition. The boys loved it & I am glad we took time out of our crazy days to do something fun. For the last 13 days left until Christmas I am trying to do something "Christmas/Snow" Related.   On Monday we made these & yesterday we spent the afternoon at the Quilt Club I attend Christmas party.  Not quite sure what we will do this afternoon, maybe paper snowflakes or something simple. Since it is a crazy day, and the rest of the week just gets worse.  
   We will see. . . what are your fun plans for this week? 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Chocolate eh? Who knew! I will definitely have to give that one a try! Plus, I bet it tastes better too!

    ReplyDelete